Twinkle, "the picture paper especially for little girls", was a popular British comic, published by DC Thomson from 27 January 1968 to 1999 (1612 issues). It was aimed at young girls and came out weekly, supplemented each year with a Summer Special and a hardcover Annual (the first annual was dated 1970).
The comics were introduced by Twinkle herself and featured comic strips, dress-up dolls, a Twinkle Club letters page, and often puzzles. Among the most popular comic strips were "Nurse Nancy" (illustrated by Sabine Price), "Jenny Wren", "Witch Winkle", "Polly's Magic Paintbox", "Goldilocks and her Three Bears", "My Baby Brother", "The Three Pennys", "Patsy Panda", "Patty Pickle", "Sally Sweet", "Molly and her Dollies" and "Dandy Lion".
Twinkle was given a make-over in the late 1970s and again in the late 1980s, but essentially the character of Twinkle, the comic strips and the essence of the comic remained the same throughout its life.
List of strips
- "Betty Buttercup" (Jim Lorimer)
- "Caroline and her Magic Car" - Caroline has a magic car that will take her anywhere.
- "Dandy Lion"
- "Elfie" (Marjorie Owens)
- "Goldilocks and her Three Bears"
- "Goody Gumdrops" - Goody lives in Sweetie Town, where everyone is named after sweets (Ferguson Dewar).
- "Jean Genie" - every time Gemma slaps the back pocket of her jeans a genie appears to grant her wish.
- "Jenny Wren" - Jenny is a little girl who likes to dress up and make herself look pretty.
- "Jilly of Jingle Bell School" (Bob Dewar)
- "Molly and her Dollies"
- "My Baby Brother"- The adventures of a young girl and her baby brother (Sabine Price).
- "Nurse Nancy" - Nancy and her grandad have a toy hospital (Sabine Price).
- "Patsy Panda" (Bob Dewar)
- "Patty Pickle" - similar to Silly Milly (Tom Kerr).
- "Polly's Magic Paintbox" - Whatever Polly paints comes to life because of her magic paints.
- "Sally Sweet of Sunshine Street"
- "Silly Milly" - She tries to do things right but always lands in a muddle.
- "The Three Pennys" - The adventures of 3 girls, all named Penny.
- "Witch Winkle" - Wendy Wilson has a very unusual friend - a witch called Winkle (Tom Kerr).